Friday, April 23, 2010

A More Gracious World

Inspired Quote of the Day

With malice toward none, with charity for all... let us... achieve and cherish a lasting peace among ourselves, and with all nations. ~Abraham Lincoln


Today's Brilliance

Pamela Hawley

Pamela Hawley

Pamela is the founder and CEO of UniversalGiving, a non-profit organization dedicated to creating a world with more giving and volunteering.

If today were my last day on Earth and I could share 500 words of brilliance with the world, here are the important things I'd want to pass along to others...

A More Gracious World

I have been privileged to volunteer all over the world—in Cambodia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala. With these experiences, I've learned from so many different people and cultures. I find I am the learner and the receiver, allowing me to be a more sensitive, caring and compassionate person.

I can't forget my very first international volunteer trip. A group of us travelled to Managua, Nicaragua to build a school . At that time, 90% of students in the community could not afford school. The annual tuition was $1...

We jumped right into the project with the villagers and finished most, but not all, of the school. Our hammers broke, and there was no "hardware store" around the corner. You'd need to drive two hours. And no one in the communty had a car.

Our first instincts as Americans were to brainstorm every possible way to complete the school. Some spent time fretting we hadn't finished what we came here to do. Finally, I sat down t...

Read More of Today's Brilliance >>

No comments:

Post a Comment