Sunday, December 26, 2010

Follow Your Dream ~Sonia Fuentes

Inspired Quote of the Day

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when? ~ Rabbi Hillel


Today's Brilliance

Sonia Fuentes

Sonia Fuentes

Sonia is a founder of NOW and the first woman attorney in the Office of the General Counsel at the EEOC, a feminist activist, speaker and author.

If today were my last day on Earth and I could share 500 words of brilliance with the world, here are the important things I'd want to pass along to others...

First and foremost, follow your dream. When I began work in July 1965 at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) as the first woman attorney in the Office of the General Counsel, interpreting Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which, among other things, prohibits sex discrimination by covered employers, employment agencies, and labor unions, I found I had a passion for women's rights. As a Jew who had to leave Berlin, Germany, in 1933 with my immediate family to save our lives when I was five years old, I early learned of the evils of discrimination based on religion. When I rode through the South with my family en route to spending the winter in Miami Beach, Florida, when I was a teenager, and saw the racist headlines in the newspapers and the racist signs on benches, busses, water fountains and restrooms, I saw the evils of discrimination based on race. And when I joined the EEOC, I became aware of the evils of discrimination based on gender. It's all of a piece...

Read More of Today's Brilliance >>

No comments:

Post a Comment